Friday, October 23, 2009

Smoke Free

I have been a smoker for about 25 years and in the past, when I have attempted to quit, I would have a cigarette here and 2 there, before returning to my pack-a-day habit. Six weeks ago, I decided to give it another try. For the first couple of weeks, I would fall off the wagon for a day or 2. But, I have been completely tobacco free for the past 4 weeks. It has been difficult, especially the first week, but it has gotten easier the past week or so. The temptation to walk into a convenience store and buy a pack has diminished. This is probably the longest period of time I have gone without a single cigarette and I have to say, this time, I think I am going to make it happen.

My reason for quitting are many. Health is the obvious one, but the main reason why I had to quit this time was financial. I was starting to have trouble paying bills on time and when I sat down and saw how much I was spending on butts (I've also started bringing my lunch every day. Eating out was also costing a fortune), I realized why I was running out of money every week.

I'm hoping I can make this a life-long lifestyle change. It is hard, no doubt, but if I can go this long, there is no reason why I can't kick the habit for good.

No comments: